Monday, May 08, 2006

They Don't Make Them Like They Used to

Ben Davidson likely would have gone unnoticed by today's recruiting services. Davidson, who is best remembered for his days with the unruly Oakland Raiders, didn't play high school ball and first put on a uniform while attending East L.A. College in 1957. It wasn't long before an opponent clipped him from behind. His reaction? "I reached into his helmet and there was his head, his face and right under my thumb I felt something like an eye socket," he said. "I gouged his eye a little. He screamed and ran off the field. That's when the light bulb went on in my head and I said, 'I can do this.' " Davidson eventually ended up at Washington, where he did more sitting than playing on two Rose Bowl teams, rotating between the second and third units. But somebody noticed his potential because when the NFL draft rolled around, he was drafted higher than any of his fellow Huskies.

No comments: